Thursday, March 10, 2011

Blog 1: "How to do one thing at a time"

              The passage from Womens Health Magazine "How to do one thing at a time", is an article about multi-taskers and single-takers. According to the experiment of the group from Stanford University, single-tasker performed better tasks than multi-taskers.

              I believe that multi-tasking and single-tasking have both advantages and disadvantages. As we go to the website to look for jobs or cl;assified adds of the news paper, companies that are hiring are always searching for a multi-tasker. One advantage of the multi-taskers is having some extra time for their own intersts. By finishing all tasks or more than one tasks at the same time is equal to gaining free time. A multi-tasker could do paper works, filing, preparing some out going mails, answer 2 to 3 lines of telephone calls and face booking at the same time. By performing all these tasks at the same time, i don' t even think that they could remember to double check all the tasks that have been done. To sum it up, sometimes multi-taskers are not aware of their own error and mistakes while performing the compiled tasks. It is because their brain and attention is not focusing on one thing only. Not being focus on one thing is one of the disadvantages of multi-tasking. On the other hand, single tasker could perform well tasks by devoting their own time and focusing on one single task at a certain time.
             There are some instances in our lives that we are multi-tasking. Like walking or running to the bus station while on the cell phone or washing the dishes while cooking. As i was typing my resume, i reached for my cup of coffee, at the same time my cell phone rang. I answered the call and placed my cell phone in between my neck and shoulder. While i was talking on the phone i decided to sip some coffee while my left hand was typing, i took a sip of my coffee and my cell phone slide down to the floor from my shoulder. And my cell phone broke in to pieces.
            Therefore i conclude that focusing on one thing at a time could make athe task easier and certain.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment