Saturday, April 30, 2011

Blog 11: Practice 2 CATW

"The Woman Who Died in the Waiting Room"


The passage "The Woman Who Died in the Waiting Room" by Jeneen Interlandi from the Newsweek on July 12, 2008 a Woman died named Esmin Green in the waiting room of Brooklyn psychiatric hospital. Esmin Green found by a nurse on the floor after nearly an hour of her death. Since 1960s, hospital across the country began closing their doors for psychiatric care, poor and uninsured patience. With only 50,000 inpatient psychiatric beds for tens of millions of people across the country, most of the time mentally Ill patients receives the treatment lastly.

According to the passage "With just 50,000 inpatient psychiatric beds for tens of millions of people across the country, the mentally I'll typically wait twice as long for treatment as other patient do". There are only 50,000 of psychiatric patients across the country but they always get to the last when it comes to treatment. Which is I think that its not fair, even though they are mentally Ill they are also human. They always get treated last because doctors and nurses thinks that they couldn't complain. But they need more attention than anybody else. They deserve to be to treated fairly.

From my own experience, I' am working at a facility for dementia and ahlzeimer patients. I look at them and treat them like my grandparents. I make sure to do my rounds every 30 minutes. I make it to a point that I help them with their needs. I place the call bell where they can easily reach it before I leave the patient unattended.

No comments:

Post a Comment